Friday, December 4, 2015

the Bee Gees and their music influences





Influences:
Barry Gibb: "I like music that moves you emotionally, music where if you're in pain, it works for you. The first record I bought was 'Cryin' by Roy Orbison, and that destroyed me. I figured, 'There's a guy who's writing for people, who's writing for emotions." (1990)Robin Gibb: "The black music grooves me, influences me the most. The three of us, still get our inspiration from black music. It's the most innovative in terms of grooves." (Still Waters Press Kit, 1997)Maurice Gibb: "I've always admired Peter Gabriel and musicians like him, who've had longevity - I love anyone who can last this business because there's not many of us around." (Ok On Air, 2001)Robin Gibb: "We've often been influenced by lots of music in the past and today. I think you've got to stay, at some point, true to your art, and without, you know, you've got to sail between the winds of change, and if you get too trend-orientated, you become that trend. And so you've got to really stay between them, and be influenced by them." (BBC, 2001)
Robin Gibb: "We've always been influenced by particularly American R'n'B." (BBC, 2002)Robin Gibb: "I am a big fan of Gregorian chant." (Still Waters Press Kit, 1997)Robin Gibb: "Barry's a great Noel Coward fan." (BBC, 2001)Robin Gibb: "Clannad, the Irish folk group. Enya was originally a member of the group. I like their vocal sounds." (Size Isn't Everything Press Kit, 1993)
Maurice Gibb: "We love and have been influenced by many country artists particularly Roy Orbison." (Ticketmaster online chat, 1997) Robin Gibb: "Otis Redding, for me as a singer, was the greatest, because I think soul music is a great art form of music which should go into every decade. I think it has an important role in every decade and in the future." (BBC, 2002)Maurice Gibb: "Usually I like a total mixture ranging from classical and R&B to early stuff like the Beach Boys and Beatles." (OK On Air, 2001)Robin Gibb: "I would say The Beatles, Otis Redding and the whole Motown scene really. There aren't so many contemporary people that would influence me, as there are just far too many cover version artists." (Top of the Pops, 2003)

No comments: